INTRO PARTS
SETS
Moubal
Jumbo
MANUALS
Moubal
Jumbo
MARKETING
PRICE LISTS
BUILDING
MOUBAL

RELATED





VAN MOUWERIK & BAL


Jump directly to:

History of the Moubal Factory
Other Moubal toys:
    - ELBA
    - MOBA Puzzle
Moubal metal products
1926 Mobaco film by by Otto van Neijenhoff
Moubal corporate history
Moubal background information




HISTORY OF THE MOUBAL FACTORY 


On December 1st, 1915, Mr. Pier van Mouwerik and Mr. Cornelis Willem Bal established the trading company "van Mouwerik en Bal."

In November 1918, they received a building permit to construct a sheet metal and extrusion factory in Zeist, at Dalweg Section H, parcel 1120.




Image courtesy Alex Geelhoed



This facade drawing is from the building permit application. The address is De la Reylaan 16 in Zeist. Note the misspelling of Mouwerik above the front door. Supervising the execution is W.J. Boot.



Photograph of the factory at De la Reylaan 16 in Zeist. Between the headlights is Mr. Bal, and next to him, patting the dog is Mr. van Mouwerik. To his right is possibly Mrs. Bal, and on the left is possibly Mrs. Diet van Mouwerik-Venlet:


Photograph courtesy of René van Gruting




Left is Mr. Bal and right is Mr. van Mouwerik. In the middle is probably someone from the Van Viersen & Co. Lasch- en Isolatiemateriaal in Enschede, where this picture was taken:


Photograph courtesy of René van Gruting


On 20 December 1920, the company was re-incorporated as N.V. Plaatmetaalindustrie van Mouwerik & Bal.

In January 1921, they received a permit to install 5 electric motors.


This south-facing aerial from appr. 1922 shows the inital factory in its environment. To the left are the rail lines and the Zeist train station, to the south is a vacant parcel with a balloon where a gas tank will later be built:


Photograph from Het Utrechts Archief, no. X48137-94772, courtesy of Leen Kalden


This detail shows the first phase of construction, with the brick office building along the south side, next to it 5 bays with shed roofs and clerestory windows, and a bay along the sheds on the right side. Across the entrance court is a long, narrow building. In white letters on the north-most clerestory window, facing the camera, are the letters "Van Mouwerik & Bal - Plaatmetaalindustrie". A small crowd has gathered at the fence to watch the balloon going up:


Courtesy of Collectie Nederlands Instituut voor Militaire Historie, Beeldbank no. 2011-2002 - detail
Also: 
Het Utrechts Archief, no. X48137-94772 - detail, courtesy of Leen Kalden


In September 1923, they received a permit to expand the factory on the adjacent parcel no. 1640.

In this undated aerial, we see the first expansion, to the left:


Aerial courtesy of Collectie Nederlands Instituut voor Militaire Historie, Beeldbank no. 2011-5311 - detail (same as no. 011-2935 and no. 2155_047842)


In March 1924, they got a permit to expand the factory on adjacent parcel no. 1676 on the Bothadwarslaan with a painting and enameling shop and a loading area, and to make certain modifications to the existing factory.


In January 1925, Mr. Pier van Mouwerik passed away at the age of 45. This is only a few months after the launch of Mobaco in the fall of 1924. Mr. Bal now runs the factory by himself.

Portrait of
Pier van Mouwerik, and two death notices in the Nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant of 29 January 1925:

  
Photograph courtesy of René van Gruting. Newspaper clipping from Delpher.nl


In 1925, the municipality bought a portion of Moubal's land to install a rail spur to a gas tank. In exchange, Moubal gained access to the spur.

In 1927, they further expanded the factory on Parcel no. 1756 on the Bothadwarslaan.


The photo's below, taken in the 1990's, show that the building along the rail line with the peaked roof was built in 1928. The rail line ran to the right of the building, where the curved fence stands. The building was demolished after 2005:

   
Photo's courtesy of Nick Cranendonk


This picture from 1932 shows the original building (located to the right of the jog, with 5 bays+ 1 bay to its left), with expansions to the right (2 bays) and to the left (6 bays). The large tower in the background is the steeple of the Nieuwe Kerk- Hervormde Gemeente Bethel (Dutch Reformed Church), still standing.


Photo courtesy of Leen Kalden


In 1934, they added a staining and soldering installation.

This picture from 1934 shows the original building (left side, 5 bays) and the 2-bay expansion to its right. The right-most bay was later substantially altered, as can be seen in the 1965 aerial below.





This detail from an aerial taken some time before 1940 shows the factory before the expansion described next:


Image from Wageningen University & Research Image Collection, item no. 2011-0669 (detail)



In May 1940, Moubal was awarded a permit to expand the factory with a spray paint facility ("spuitinrichting") and a packaging department ("verpakkingsafdeeling"). There is a wing behind the original building that has a mosaic above a double door with the number 1942 which indicates that this wing was indeed built:


Photograph courtesy of Nick Cranendonk



This is confirmed by an areal reconnaissance photo taken by the British Royal Air Force (RAF) in 1945, which shows the above-mentioned wing (saw-tooth roof at the top of the photo):


Image from Wageningen University & Research Image Collection
RAF aerial no 3122, taken on 19 April 1945


Production of Mobaco stopped during the war, probably after 1942. From advertisements we can infer that (limited) production resumed in 1948.

When Jumbo took over marketing, Moubal continued making the parts. Mobaco appeared for the last time in the 1961-62 Jumbo catalog, but from date stamps found in Jumbo boxes it appears that the last boxes were filled in April 1959, which may indicate that Moubal made the last series of Mobaco parts in the fall of 1958.

In 1963, Cornelis G. Bal, son of founder Cornelis W. Bal, took over management of the company. In 1964 his father retired (see newspaper clippings further below).


This undated aerial shows the factory before the large 1964 expansion. To make room for the 1964 expansion, the U-shaped building at the top was demolished. Note that the base of the "U" already appears on the 1945 aerial above.



 

In 1964, a large new building was built behind (north of) the original building and its pre-war expansions. It housed a stampingg facility along the railroad, and beyond that a sheet metal shop and a plastics joint venture named NV Arcon that made both thermoplastic and thermohardening plastic items:


Newspaper clipping Nieuw Zeister Courant dd.
17 April 1964, courtesy of Anneke Oldenburg


The October 1965 aerial photograph below, made to commemorate Moubal's 50 year anniversary, shows the factory near its peak, with the new building at the top-right.

The original building is at the bottom of the photograph, facing the large gas tank, with the 5 shed roofs behind it. The long narrow building directly adjacent to the gas tank was also part of the factory.

The rail line carried passengers to Zeist until 1941, and freight until 1972, and has since been demolished.


Aerial courtesy of AVIODROME, Lelystad, photographed on 18 October 1965



In December 1972, Cornelis Bal, co-founder of the company passes away at the age of 89.


Sometime before 1981, the 1964 building was expanded with two bays to the left.


In 1981 the company closed.

The aerial below from 23 May 1996, 15 years after the company closed, shows an expansion of the 1964 building with two bays to the left. The shed roofs of the expansion completed in 1942 have been demolished and replaced with a flat roof with blue metal cladding around it. The original walls were left standing. A small building along the railroad has been demolished, as well as the rail lines and the gas tank. The long, narrow building located on the foreground has just been torn down and its replacement is under construction (blue portal frames). But all-in-all, the factory is still mostly like Moubal left it:


Photograph from Het Utrechts Archief, no 828300 (cropped). Vervaardiger: Fotodienst_GAU



This photo from the 1990's, taken from the North-East, shows the shed roofs of the original building, as well as a post-war expansion to the right. The white wood building on the left is also post-war:


Photograph courtesy of Nick Cranendonk



Below left, the buildings in 2005. North is up. Not much has changed since the 1996 aerial above.

In the aerial on the right from 2020, we see that the oldest buildings have been demolished and replaced, recognizable by their
light-gray roofs,
but the rest still stands. The long narrow building built in 1996 has been shortened a bit:

2005:                                                                                               2020:
      
Source: Google Earth



When the company closed, all assets were sold at auction, including 1.5 hectares of land (3.7 acres), 3300 m2 older buildings and 3400 m2 1960's buildings. The latter figure confirms that the expansion of the 1964 building was done by Moubal.

Below left, the impressive list of Moubal equipment that was auctioned off on 8 September 1981, as shown in De Telegraaf of 28 August 1981. It included 31 stamping machines, from 12 ton to 180 ton.

Six months earlier, on 24 March 1981, the assets of the plastics joint venture Kunstoffenindustrie Arcon B.V. were also auctioned off, as shown below right in De Telegraaf of 16 March 1981:


Source: Delpher.nl

  Source: Delpher.nl


Special thanks to Alex Geelhoed and Henri de Graaf for some of the historical information. A summary of their research is at the bottom of the page.






OTHER MOUBAL TOYS

In addition to Mobaco, Moubal made a construction toy ELBA and the MOBA Puuzle




ELBA


Jump directly to:
    - ELBA parts
    - ELBA Set A
    - ELBA Set A manuals
          - ELBA Set A manual version 1
          - ELBA Set A manual version 2
    - ELBA Set B
    - ELBA Set B manuals
          - ELBA Set B manual version 2

ELBA was another construction system produced and marketed by van Mouwerik & Bal, producers of Mobaco. This budget system dispensed with the (expensive) wooden columns and thick ground plates.
There were only 13 different parts, all cardboard. It allowed for more "modern" looking buildings.

The Patent was filed by Harmen Elsinga on 27 January 1939 (application number 91694) and was granted on 16 September 1940 (Patent no. 49313). The patent number is mentioned on some of the the manual covers. It was transferred by Mr. Elsinga to Moubal on 5 November 1940. The patent lapsed on 1 March 1952.

The name ELBA is most likely a combination of EL (for Elsinga) and BA (for Bal).

There are two ELBA sets, Set A and Set B. There are several versions of each. The first Set A was introduced before the Patent was granted, either in 1939 or 1940. As explain below, I believe Set B was introduced in 1941. ELBA was available in June 1941 as shown in the advertisement below.

Here an example of a building made with Set B. As can be seen, items don't fit very neatly. In concept it should work, but in practice, the slight angles of the notches result in irregular stacking. This, and the untimely introduction of these sets around the beginning of the war resulted in limited success. Used sets are fairly rare today.






Model and photographs courtesy of Barend Westerveld





This advertisement from 20 June 1941 in Twentsch Dagblad Tubantia is, so far, the only advertisement found that mentions ELBA:


Scan courtesy Leen Kalden





ELBA PARTS 

There are just 13 parts, stamped from hardened cardboard, similar to the production of Mobaco parts. The colors are similar to Mobaco. Unlike Mobaco which is based on imperial measurements (inches), ELBA is based on metric dimensions.
Parts were not numbered.

In ELBA Set A Version 1, the fence, parapet and plinth were different from Set A Version 2, and from ELBA Sets B. See table below. For easy reference I gave each part a number, these numbers are arbitrary.


No.
Description
Image (at 50% scale)
Set A Version 1
Set A Version 2
Set B
E01
One-Wall ("één-muur") - White
55 mm wide x 85 mm tall

2
2
2
E02
Two-wall ("twee-muur") - White
112.5 mm wide x 85 mm tall

1
1
2
E03
One-Window ("één-raam") - White
55 mm wide x 85 mm tall

6
6
8
E04
Two-Window ("twee-raam) - White
112.5 mm wide x 85 mm tall

1
1
4
E05
Door ("deur") - White
55 mm wide x 85 mm tall


2
2
2
E06
Connection Wall ("verbindingsmuur") - White
55 mm wide x 85 mm tall


-
-
4
E07
Tile ("tegel") - Gray
55 mm x 55 mm

10
10
16
E08
Fence ("hekje") version 1 - Old & Green
55 mm wide x 28 mm tall


4
-
-
E09
Fence ("hekje") verson 2 - New & Green
55 mm wide x 21 mm tall

-
4
7
E10
Parapet ("daklijst") version 1 - Green
55 mm wide x 15 mm tall

6
-
-
E11 Parapet ("daklijst") version 2 - Red
55 mm wide x 15 mm tall

- 7 9
E12
Plinth ("plint") version 1 - Green
55 mm wide x 10 mm tall

5
-
-
E13
Plinth ("plint") version 2 - Red
55 mm wide x 10 mm tall

-
5
10
E14
One-Beam ("één-balk") - Yellow
68 mm wide x 15 mm tall

8
8
16
E15
Two-Beam ("twee-balk")
125.5 mm wide x 15 mm tall

14
14
14
E16
Three-Beam ("drie-balk")
183 mm wide x 15 mm tall

-
-
6

Total

59 parts
60 parts
100 parts
Part scans courtesy of Henri de Graaf






ELBA SET A 


There are two known versions of ELBA Set A. Both have the same image on the lid, but with different text. Neither specifically mentions that it is Set A, but the included instruction manuals do.

Version 1 mentions the full name of the company ("N.V. Plaatmetaalindustrie van Mouwerik & Bal - Zeist"), that a Patent has been applied for (Ned" Octrooi Aangevr.") and Netherlands Manufacture ("Nederl. Fabrikaat"). Version 2 simply mentions "Van Mouwerik & Bal N.V. - Zeist".

Version 1 had 59 parts while Version 2 had 60 parts. Both had
11 types of parts. In Version 1, parts E08, E10 and E12 were all green, while in Version 2 the corresponding parts were different: E09 had more slots, E11 was red and with more slots, and E13 was red. The image on the lid was not adjusted to reflect the changed parts.

ELBA Set A Version 1 is on the left, Version 2 on the right.
The boxes are 176 mm wide x 293 mm high x 22 mm thick. The boxes have similar steel reinforcements in the corners as Mobaco sets.





Here the bottom of the same sets:


Photographs courtesy of Barend Westerveld


Version 2 was more fun with its brighter blue paper, interesting bottom paper and red parts!


Here the contents of Set A, Version 2. There is a smaller box inside the box that helps organize the parts and keeps things in place:


Image from the Deventer Speelgoedmuseum





ELBA SET A MANUALS 

There are two versions of this manual, with subtle differences. They correspond with the two versions of the box.

On the cover of Version 1, it states Patent Applied For ("Ned. Octr. Aangevr."), while on Version 2, it states Netherlands Patent No. 49313 ("Ned. Octr. No. 49313").

So Version 1 probably came out before the patent was issued (14 September 1940) or before that patent was transferred to Moubal (5 November 1940), but after the patent was filed for (27 January 1939). Since sets were probably produced in the summer, I suspect that ELBA Set A was introduced in the fall of 1939, or in the fall of 1940, after the start of the war. As shown by the above ad, ELBA was available in June 1941.

The second version of the booklet, with the patent number, probably came out in 1941 since the patent was issued in September 1940, too late for 1940 production. Since there is no K-number on the manual, it must have been printed before mid-July 1941 (when K-numbers became mandatory), which is possible.

Another difference between versions 1 and 2 is the mention of Set B. In version 1 of the manual, there is no mention of a Set B anywhere in the manual and the rear cover is blank, while in version 2 there is a large building on the rear cover with the caption: "Elba Set B opens the possibility for the construction of larger buildings".

Set B is very different from Set A in many aspects, and it seems unlikely it was introduced at the same time as Set A. I think Set B was introduced in 1941, at the same time as Set A version 2, because the parts in Set B are the same as in Set A version 2, and because the contents of Set A version 2 are listed in the table of parts on the back of the Set B manual.


It is possible that the second version of the Set A manual was printed after the war, but that may mean that Set B was introduced after the war as well.
 
Interestingly, in both versions of the Set A manual, the captions are in old Dutch spelling (with two O's in "Doozen"), while the instructions on page 3 use modern spelling ("Dozen"). I have no explanation for this other than that the narrative perhaps was a last-minute addition after all the artwork for the other pages had already been completed. The Set B manuals are entirely with new spelling.




ELBA Set A Manual - version 1 


      216 x 139 mm

      12 pages (incl. covers)

      B&W covers & interior

      19 illustrations

      See pages

      DOWNLOAD PDF








Scans courtesy of Henri de Graaf




ELBA Set A Manual - version 2 


      216 x 139 mm

      12 pages (incl. covers)

      B&W covers & interior

      19 illustrations

      See pages

      DOWNLOAD PDF




Scans courtesy of Leen Kalden






ELBA SET B 

ELBA Set B contains 13 types of parts (versus 11 in Set A), and has 100 parts total (versus 59 or 60 in Set A). The box is appr. 386 mm wide by 237 mm tall (larger than A4). The box has the same type of metal corner reinforcements as Mobaco sets.

Set B has a more polished appearance than Set A. The ELBA logo is nicer, the illustration on the lid is more inviting, the manual is laid out better with more consistent lettering, and the narrative is more elaborate. It appears Set B was done later and by someone else. Also, several parts are different than the first version of Set A, and the same as the second version, so most likely Set B was issued at the same time as Set A version 2, most likely in 1941.

There are two known versions of the image on the lid, the only difference being the typeface used to write the company name: one version has bold lettering, while the other has thinner and larger letters.



Lid of Set B, Version 1 (scan):



Scan courtesy of Henri de Graaf




The ELBA Set B, Version 2 has a lighter but larger typeface than Version 1 above. Also, the border around the image is a bit wider.


Scan courtesy of Leen Kalden




The bottom of ELBA Set B is covered with gold-colored embossed paper (the scan makes it look greenish):


Scan courtesy of Henri de Graaf



Contents of Set B:


Photograph courtesy of Henri de Graaf





ELBA SET B MANUALS 


There are three known variations of this manual, with subtle differences. Version 1 simply states
Netherlands Patent (Nederlands Octrooi) on the cover, without a patent number. Version 2 is the same as Version 1 except is also states the patent number.

Version 3 differs from versions 1 and 2 in several ways: the type has been reset with a slightly cleaner typeface and the illustrations and captions are different. It also mentions the patent number.

All three versions use modern Dutch spelling. They were all printed by van Lonkhuyzen in Zeist (as shown on the back page).

Here the covers of the 3 versions and the corresponding page with illustrations 6, 7 and 8:



     

     
Scans courtesy of Barend Westerveld





ELBA Set B Manual - version 2 
 

      283 x 192 mm

      12 pages (incl. covers)

      B&W covers & interior

      27 illustrations

      Contents of Sets A and B

      Printed by: van Lonkhuyzen, Zeist

      See pages

      DOWNLOAD PDF









Scans courtesy of Leen Kalden








MOBA PUZZLE (1933) 


Jump directly to:
    - MOBA Puzzle Set No. B
    - MOBA Puzzle manual

Van Mouwerik & Bal also put out a Tangram-like puzzle. It was introduced in 1933, as described in the clipping below.

The patent was filed by Van Mouwerik & Bal in The Netherlands on 1 May 1934 (Application 69310) and published on 16 December 1935 as Patent 38135. The Patent Register mentions a priority date of 4 May 1933, accepted in the United Kingdom, so apparently the patent was first filed in the UK. The patent lapsed on 15 January 1937.
This image is from the patent application:




This newspaper article in the Zeister Courant of 16 December 1933 describes the newly introduced MOBA PUZZLE in great detail. It is available at G. v.d. Bosch, Slotlaan, Zeist, who also sell Mobaco sets:

  

Translation:

New Zeister Puzzle

A completely new jigsaw puzzle is currently being produced by the N.V. Plaatmetaalindustrie van Mouwerik & Bal here in town, the MOBA PUZZLE, which is sold at a very fair price.

The Moba puzzle consists of only two different parts, and each part comes in four different colors, green, white, red and black.

Characteristic of the Moba puzzle is that although only two different parts are used, practically any figure can be made.

However one lays the Moba parts, one can always fit one of the two parts into every formed corner, so that in the end one could cover a table with it, without gaps.

The sample booklet already offers various options. The first pages give very simple examples; those on the odd 




pages can easily be copied, those on the even pages you have to figure out.

Then follow more difficult examples, which seem almost impossible to find (see, for example, pages 12 and 14), and the last pages give examples of living beings.

The great difficulty in these last pages, besides the figure itself, is to find the right colors to make the creature "alive."

Even when making some of the simplest figures you will be amazed at the unprecedented possibilities which Moba offers, both by the two shapes and by the colours.

The Moba puzzle is available from Fa. G. v. d. Bosch, Slotlaan, Zeist, which also sells the well-known Mobaco construction sets.




On the very same day as the above article, 16 december 1933, the ad below appeared in De Groene Amsterdammer. The price of the puzzle was fl. 0.95, the same as a Mobaco Set 000 in 1933.

This is the only MOBA PUZZLE advertisement ever found.

The puzzle also featured prominently on Moubal's letterhead which was printed in November 1934, as indicated by the printer code at the bottom left of the page. It mentions "Octrooi Aangevraagd" which means the patent application has been filed. The patent was issued in December 1935.

Considering how few examples have surfaced over the years, the Moba Puzzle probably was not a hot seller. Moubal let the patent lapse in January 1937, which may indicate that they ended production around the same time.


              





MOBA PUZZLE SET NO. B  


This box is labeled No. B, suggesting there must have been a smaller set No. A













Scan courtesy of Gerard Poort


Photo courtesy of Leen Kalden
   
     Photo courtesy of Leen Kalden

   
     Photo courtesy of Leen Kalden






MOBA PUZZLE MANUAL 
 

      160 x 100 mm

      20 pages (incl. covers)

      B&W covers & interior


      See pages

      DOWNLOAD PDF




Scans courtesy Leen Kalden







MOUBAL METAL PRODUCTS 


Van Mouwerik & Bal was primarily a metal stamping and extruding company. Mobaco was developed as a side line. I have no idea which portion of Moubal's profits were attributable to Mobaco, but it appears they put considerable energy into their toy line which may indicate that it was quite lucrative.

Here some metal Van Mouwerik & Bal products found on the internet. Also a catalog of metal products.

Although Moubal made their own branded items, the majority of their work was fabricating custom parts for third parties.

Jump directly to:
- Patent for Apparatus for annealing and collodioning gas light mantles
- Bicycle combination lock
- "Z"-model triple combination keyless safety lock with discs-cover
- The "Telephone" lock
- 1923 advertisement for various stamped goods
- ETON luggage carrier and stand
- Bicycle foot rest
- "De Reiklauw", an innovative tool
- Cable lugs ("Kabelschoenen")
- ETON bicycle reflector & tail light
- VEEGEE cassa
- Ash tray with suction cup
- Soap dispenser
- Door stop (H.P. Bumper)
- TENO telefoon lessenaar
- Foot-operated trash can (Het Moubal vuilnisbakje)
- 1934 Moubal general advertisement
- ETON controleur
- Gas mask filter ("Gasfilterbus")
- Carrying case for gas mask ("Draagbus voor gasmasker")
- Ammunition stripper clip
- Machine gun belt
- Black-out light fixture ("Verduisteringslamp")
- Approved bicycle light shade ("Goedgekeurde lichtafschermer")
- Hole punch
- 1938 Moubal UK Trade Catalog






PATENT - APPARATUS FOR ANNEALING AND COLLODIONING GAS LIGHT MANTLES 

This patent was filed 31 January 1917 and granted 18 December 1917, Pat. No. 1,250,726 (USA).

Click here to download the US Patent and the UK Patent.







 

BICYCLE COMBINATION LOCK 


Moubal patented this bicycle lock in 1920. Click here for PDFs of the Patent applications in French and English.







"Z"-MODEL TRIPLE COMBINATION KEYLESS SAFETY LOCK WITH DISCS-COVER 
Similar in shape to the above patent, but with turn knobs. These images are stills from a 1930's movie:

 





THE "TELEPHONE" LOCK -
CIRCULAR MODEL TRIPLE COMBINATION KEYLESS SAFETY LOCK  



Moubal patented this lock in 1924. Here three versions. Right-most picture is a still from a 1930's movie:

    

Patent application 12508 for "Combinatieslot met ringvormige schoot en sperschijven met stuitrand en bijzondere uitvoering van de schoot" was submitted 8 February 1923, granted 16 November 1924, and lapsed 1 June 1935.







1923 ADVERTISEMENT FOR VARIOUS STAMPED GOODS  

Moubal had a full-page ad on the inside cover of the Catalog for the 1923 Exhibition celebrating the 25-year anniversary of the Amsterdam Colonial Institute. It shows some of the items they produced. The text reads:

We specialize in stamped and drawn volume products made of sheet metal up to 3 mm thick.
Finished and semi-finished products.
Custom items from drawings or samples.

The illustrations show a cable lug and a bicycle carrier, both which are also shown further below, and two products I can't place (suggestions welcome!). 393 was Moubal's telephone number!

   






ETON LUGGAGE CARRIER AND STAND - 1924  

Another patented Moubal product was the "Combined Carrier-stand for Bicycles, Motor-cycles and the like Vehicles", sold in the UK under the ETON brand name through R. Melville Brown.

The patent was applied for on 22 March 1924, and granted 7 August 1924. Click here for a copy of UK Patent no 219,901.

It appears there were several versions, with and without stand. They are mentioned in the 1939 Maxwell Bicycle Catalog - see example below.



Illustration from the UK Patent application


There even was a kids version, the ETON Baby:






Ad in the Catalan edition of the Berliner Tageblatt, 12 February 1930



From the Maxwell 1939 bicycle catalog:


Image courtesy of transportfiets.net






BICYCLE FOOT REST - 1927 

Dutch Patent Number 16924, "Voetrust voor rijwielen" (= bicycle foot rest). Patent for this device was applied for on 2 October 1925 and granted 16 July 1927. It expired on 15 March 1935 and was not renewed. I did not find the original patent.

The foot rest was mounted on the tube between the handle bars and the pedals. The split pen suggests that the round bracket was permanently mounted to the bicycle while the foot rest was only attached when necessary. The three holes on each side of the bracket suggest that perhaps there were wooden dowels attached to one or both sides of the foot rest for comfort.

The foot rest allowed for the installation of a child's seat on the horizontal tube between the handle bars and the saddle.

  

  
Stamped in the bracket is NED. OCTR. No 16924 (the patent number). Strangely the word Telephone is also stamped on the bracket. The letters are aligned along a curve, similar to the stamping on the Telephone bicycle lock above.

Images courtesy of Fer Cools.






"DE REIKLAUW", AN INNOVATIVE TOOL - 1926 

In this 1926 article, the "reiklauw" is described as an invention by M. J. Prins, employee at Moubal, for which a patent has been applied for.

It's a device to temporarily attach a guide to a wall. From what I can make of it, perhaps it looks like this picture. But I could be wrong!

Below the translation of this verbose article.






AN INVENTION

The “Reiklauw”.

Good tools are half the battle, especially when these tools prove to be simple and practical to use. Such a tool was invented by Mr. M. J. Prins, a local builder, who has loaned it to tradesmen to see whether it practically meets all requirements. No comments or remarks were made by anyone; on the contrary, all were full of praise for the easy use of this tool, which the inventor called the "Reiklauw." Especially for masons and plasterers, as well as carpenters, furniture makers (who do paneling work), tilers, it will prove to be indispensable after use. The intended tool clamps the so-called rail of the mason or plasterer against the wall, without having to drive wire nails through the batten, which often leads to damage to the lime layer. The rail will also often shift and spring loose if the lime is too fresh and too soft, or the wire nail will twist the rail if the lime is already hard. This is completely ruled out with the Reiklauw. No sliding or loosening of the rail and no damage to the wall, while work is quicker and easier. These are the advantages of this simple iron tool, which will soon be made available by NV Plaatmetaalindustrie van Mouwerik en Bal, here in town, and will be sold at a very small price.

Patent on this invention has been applied for.

Without being experts, we believe that this piece of equipment will prove to be a popular item among construction workers.






CABLE LUGS (KABELSCHOENEN) - 1926 

This advertisement states:

Cable lugs
------
Stampings, specially made from drawings or samples


Image found on Marktplaats





ETON BICYCLE REFLECTOR & TAIL LIGHT - 1927 

Moubal patented a bicycle reflector, UK Patent 372,070, issued 14 April 1927. It is described in the patent application as:

"A reflector for use as a reflex light on a bicycle etc. consists of a single three-sided pyramid (tetrahedron) having two of its apex angles equal and slightly greater than 90º, while the third angle is exactly 90º; the reflector being fixed in a holder in such position that its base plane is vertical and the edge opposite the apex angle of 90º is horizontal."

They also patented a "Back-Light for Cycles and Similar Vehicles", UK Patent no. 269,091, issued 14 April 1927. It is described as:

"A rear light for cycles etc. comprises a reflector clamped against a cup shaped to fit on the interior of a mudguard etc., the bottom of the cup being fitted with a screw bolt for securing purposes. A sheet of red glass covers the reflector and is situated behind a faceted lens."

To the left an ad for the ETON tail light, from 25 December 1937 in De Kampioen, reminding people that tail lights become mandatory on 1 January 1938. The ad touts all the advantages of Moubal's tail light, and states that they manufactured the very first tail lights and have the greatest experience.













VEEGEE CASSA - 1931  

This cash register for petty cash was being marketed to households. It included and automatic pencil, a lever to open the cash drawer, and a paper roll to note expenses.

It is first mentioned in an article about a visit to the Jaarbeurs fair in 1931 (12 September 1931, De Zeister Courant):

Translation:

As a novelty, this company presents the Veegee cassa, which is made entirely of metal. When you hear this name you may think of the big cash registers that stand in the large stores and count and issue receipts.

The Veegee cash register does not do that. The Veegee cash register is intended for domestic use, for small businesses and as a so-called "small cash register" in offices. Its main advantages are: an automatic pencil, a lever that is also the key to opening the interior, an easily exchangeable paper roll and a drawer for coins and banknotes. The format is extremely handy, "cute" the ladies might say.



The left ad is from 30 November 1932 in De Zeister Courant. The same ad was found in De Zeister Courant on 3 December 1932 and on 21 December 1932. The right ad is from 2 December 1932 in De Telegraaf:

Translation:

Are you ever searching for your household wallet?

Of course, that happens everywhere. Do you always know how much money is left, or what you have spent it on? Isn't it worth knowing how much you spend on household expenses per day, per week, or per month? We already see you nodding "yes" and therefore: here she is "De Veegee-Cassa"; a real cash register for the household. An automatically working, neat looking device, which is a godsend for every housewife. Always in its place, extremely easy to operate, this cash register saves you effort and time. Always a clear overview, always change, never anything missing, and... not expensive to purchase.

Veegee Cassa

THE PRICE IS ONLY F 22.50.
Available in all major stores. If not, contact the manufacturer
N.V. SHEET METAL INDUSTRY VAN MOUWERIK & BAL - ZEIST

Available in Amsterdam at Firma S. VAN EMBDEN






ASH TRAY WITH SUCTION CUP - 1931  

This article about the Moubal display at the Jaarbeurs fair in Utrecht has a brief description of a metal ash tray with a suction cup that can be attached to any window. Zeister Courant, 12 September 1931.

Translation:

What else is the company displaying? Stamped and drawn parts, so-called half-products in all kinds of finishes, for all kinds of technical purposes.

The metal ashtray, which can be secured against a window pane with the aid of a suction cup, was extremely practical. "Very simple", you will say. Well yes, but one has to come up with the idea!






SOAP DISPENSER - 1933 

Left ad is from 21 July 1933 in De Telegraaf. Right ad is from 21 August 1933 in Algemeen Handelsblad.

The device itself cost fl. 2.60, and soap refills, good for 300 to 400 hand washes, cost fl. 0.15, which should result in a 50% savings.

These are the oldest ads with a telephone number (3 digits).

  






DOOR STOP (H.P. BUMPER) - 1934 

Moubal patented a door stop, the H.P Bumper, UK Patent number 442,019.

In an article about the Jaarbeurs fair in Utrecht in De Zeister Courant of 17 March 1934, there is a description of the device:


Translation of the article:

N.V. Plaatmetaalindustrie van
Mouwerik en Bal.

Of the many and varied products that the N.V. Plaatmetaalindustrie van Mouwerik en Bal is presenting at the fair, only the H.P. Bumpers are being pushed.

H.P. Bumpers are a very simple, inexpensive and effective means of reducing the noise and rumble of slamming doors.

Such a bumper is a round rubber disc enclosed in a somewhat oval metal housing. A portion of the rubber disc protrudes from the metal casing and absorbs the impact of the door and dampens it, because when the door presses against the rubber, it squeezes into the oval casing, creating a strong spring effect. Columbus' egg, isn't it? Of course, but one has to think of it.

H.P. Bumpers give you tranquility at home. They are available for normal interior doors, exterior doors and steel doors in the colours: uncoated, cream, yellow, gray, dark brown, dark blue, moss green and dark beige, according to the shade of your paint. The price is very low.

The demonstration model in this booth convincingly demonstrated the usefulness of these little things, which are attached to the door frame.








TENO TELEFOON LESSENAAR - 1934  

Somewhat related to the above product is this telephone note-taking device with a 50 m paper roll that can be torn off at any length (no paper waste), has an attached pencil and can be attached to the wall or placed on a desk. I did not find any pictures of it.

This ad is from 7 July 1934 in De Zeister Courant, where the price was reduced from fl. 6.50 to fl. 5.00.


Translation:

No telephone without a Moubal Teno Telephone desk

A device with nothing but benefits!

Here a few:
1. No loose leafs, but a roll of paper of 50 meters in length.
2. The paper can be torn off at any desired length: so no paper loss.
3. Pencil fixed to the device: so you never have to search.
4. Can be used both as a table device or mounted on the wall.

Take a look at the shop display windows at these companies:
Fa. G.V.d. Bosch, Huish. articles, Slotlaan 18
Fa. Jan W. Kraal, Slotlaan 11 and Donkerelaan 12
Fa. J.H. van Lonkhuyzen, Montaubanstraat 13

Price of f 6.50 reduced to f 5.-

Manufacturer :
N.V. SHEET METAL INDUSTRY VAN MOUWERIK & BAL - ZEIST

Zeist Manufacture! – Zeist Manufacture!








FOOT-OPERATED TRASH CAN - 1934 

Left ad is from October 1934 in Moeder, Practisch tijdschrift voor de vrouw in het gezin.

Right ad is from October 1936 in De Vrouw en haar huis.

Both ads were in magazines oriented to the house wife.

For the green version the price was fl. 5.50, for the white version it was fl. 6.75.

   
Images courtesy Leen Kalden





GENERAL ADVERTISEMENT - 1934  

Translation:
Cable lugs
Meter covers, washers
Saddles, brackets
      Stampings
      Drawn items
      Sheet metal work
Lacquered or spray painted, nickel plated, chrome plated, tin plated, etc

Note the 3-digit telephone number. In the August 1934 Mobaco Price List (Version 2) there is a 4-digit phone number, indicating that Moubal transitioned from a 3-digit to a 4-digit phone number in 1934.

 







ETON CONTROLEUR - 1938  

On January 1st, 1938, red-colored tail lights on bicycles became mandatory. A non-functioning light meant a ticket. Bulbs had a tendency to burn out. Van Mouwerik & Bal devised a contraption that attached to the steering column, allowing you to check whether the tail light functions.

Note: the bulb in the device was connected in series with the tail light, reducing the brightness of the tail light. Also, if the bulb in the device burned out the tail light would no longer function, but at least you'd know something was amiss as the light in the Controleur was off.



Ad in De Kampioen, 5 February 1938


Ad in De Kampioen, 21 January 1939



Newspaper clipping from De Zeister Courant, 19 January 1938.

Is your rear light working?

Local industry invention

Since January 1st, it is mandatory to have an electric rear light on bicycles, which emits red light.

That seems simple. Just go to the bicycle repair shop and it’s taken care of.

However, it is not that simple.

We like to believe that the light will initially serve its purpose, but such a small light bulb simply does not have a lifetime guarantee. A good shock when driving through a pothole - e.g. on the Voorheuvel - and it could die.

How will we check that while driving? And who guarantees us that we will not get a ticket because our rear light is broken?

The N.V. Plaatmetaalindustrie Van Mouwerik en Bal here in town provides a solution.

They invented a device with which one can always check whether the rear light is working, and is now marketing it.

It is the elegant Eton Controller, made entirely of brass, which is easy to mount on the handlebar, while the Controller's lead is then simply connected to the headlight socket, and the tail light's lead to the socket screw at the bottom of the Controller.

If your rear light is on, the Controller on your handle bar will show a green light, if the rear light refuses for some reason, then the green light on the Controller also disappears.

The Eton Controller is thus a very useful invention, which is available at any bicycle dealer and no doubt many will purchase it to be spared the acrobatics they now have to perform to see if their rear light is on.






GAS MASK FILTER (GASFILTERBUS) 

These gas mask filters were produced for the Staatsbedrijf der Artillerie Inrichtingen in Zaandam. Their triangular A.I. logo as well as the MBZ logo (Mouwerik & Bal, Zeist) are visible inside the opening.

Here two versions, both for gas mask model H. The version for use by the army was stamped with a B on the side, the civilian version did not have that stamping.

For more information and more images, see DutchHelmets.nl.

Example no. 1 - civilian version:

     
Photgraphs courtesy of dutchhelmets.nl



Example no. 2 - military version:

    
Photographs courtesy of dutchhelmets.nl






CARRYING CASE FOR GAS MASK (DRAAGBUS VOOR GASMASKER) 

The gas mask carrying case was a fairly complex product requiring many steps in fabrication. It shows what Moubal was capable of.

This ad from 11 May 1940 in De Kampioen touts the advantages of Moubal's gas mask carrying case:

- "steel" strong
- gas mask cannot be damaged
- gas mask always at hand
- easy to carry
- delivered to large institutions
A Moubal product, of completely Dutch manufacture.

The case is 325 mm tall and reinforced with longitudinal ribs. Inside the lid is a small storage compartment with spare parts. According to dutchhelmets.com, gas mask model H was in use until may 1940. After capitulation it was not requisitioned by the occupier, but distributed to various civil defense organizations.



Here two examples of a carrying case for gas mask model H. The clasp has the MBZ (Mouwerik & Bal, Zeist) logo stamped into it.



Example no. 1:

     
Photographs courtesy of Collectie Honger naar Bevrijding



Example no. 2:

       

   
Photographs courtesy of dutchhelmets.nl



Here the spare parts box inside the lid:

   
Photographs courtesy of dutchhelmets.nl.  Note: these two images are of another manufacturer's (identical) carrying case.






AMMUNITION STRIPPER CLIP 

These clips held 5 bullets. The clip consisted of two parts, a U-shaped base and a wavy spring inserted from the side and held in place by tabs at the bottom that locked into holes in the base.

Many manufacturers made these clips. Moubal's clips were stamped with MBZ (= Mouwerik & Bal, Zeist).

Top:



Bottom:



Spring moved aside to reveal MBZ stamp. To the right, how these stripper clips were used (Wikipedia):
  






MACHINE GUN BELT

These links held individual bullets for a machine gun belt. The MBZ logo (van Mouwerik & Bal, Zeist) is clearly visible on the picture below:





Images found on Photobucket






BLACK OUT LIGHT FIXTURE (VERDUISTERINGSLAMP) 

During the WWII, citizens were required to black out their homes. Outdoor lights were strictly controlled.

Moubal made this porch light which met the requirements of the "Inspectie voor de Luchtbescherming" (I.L.B.), the Inspection for Aerial Protection, and was registered under I.L.B. No. 416.

The minimum height from the ground is shown to be 1.20 m (4 feet), to avoid a bright spot on the ground which might be visible from the air.


   
Photographs courtesy of Collectie Honger naar Bevrijding






APPROVED BICYCLE LIGHT SHADE (GOEDGEKEURDE LICHTAFSCHERMER) - 1940  

During the war, there were strict rules about blacking out lights, including cars and bicycles. This metal plate with a small rectangular hole was placed behind the glass of a bicycle headlamp, to make sure only a minimal amount of light would come out.

The design was approved by the "Inspectie voor de Luchtbescherming", the Inspection for Aerial Protection, and was registered under I.L.B. No. 026. The ad is from 12 October 1940 in De Kampioen.

The photograph is from a different brand, but the design is essentially identical to Moubal's.


    
Photograph courtesy of Collectie Honger naar Bevrijding






MOUBAL HOLE PUNCH 

This appears to be a post-war product, as there is a stamp on the bottom of the wood base dated August 1949.

 






1938 MOUBAL UK TRADE CATALOG  
 

This Catalog is not dated.

It was found in Het Nationaal Archief (the National Archive), as part of "Archief van de Riikscommissie Werkverruiming en voorgangers, (1918) 1922-1946."

According to the archive this catalog dates from 1938.

Prices are in pounds-shillings-pence, so it was meant for the UK market.






Images courtesy Alex Geelhoed.
Source: archief 2.06.081, Rijkscomissie werkverruiming, inv. nr. 325, C.294 - N.V. Plaatmetaalindustrie Van Mouwerik & Bal te Zeist








1926 - MOBACO FILM BY OTTO VAN NEIJENHOFF 

A film ratings report (Filmkeuringsrapport) from 1929 indicated a movie was made about van Mouwerik en Bal. It was 82 meters long and rated "all ages".




Mick Bal (presumably no relation), researcher at the Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld en Geluid in Hilversum clarified that this movie was shot in 35 mm and is 1 minute and 54 seconds long. The original title was Van Mouwerik Speelgoedfabriek (= Van Mouwerik toy factory). The movie was made in 1926, but wasn't rated until 1929. Film ratings were introduced in 1928 and it took a while to get through a backlog of older films.

The movie was made by Otto van Neijenhoff, who had the sole right to produce movies for the VNF (
Vereeniging Nederlandsch Fabrikaat), the Association of Dutch Manufacturing, from mid-1925 until en 1929. He made many films about  Dutch manufacturers.

The movie shows some stamping of metal parts, followed by the construction of Mobaco house #39, and finally a parade of large Mobaco models made with Sets 3 or 4. These large models appear in the Gnome construction manual which wasn't issued until much later (appr. 1931).

The movie can be viewed on YouTube, and here is the metadata from the Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld & Geluid.

Below a few stills from the film. Special thanks to Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld & Geluid for putting the film on YouTube!
































MOUBAL CORPORATE HISTORY 


Mobaco collector Henri de Graaf put together this history based on archival research by Alex Geelhoed at the Chamber of Commerce. The text is in Dutch:


Beknopte geschiedenis van Plaatmetaalindustrie van Mouwerik en Bal te Zeist en de bestuurders aan de hand van de gegevens van de Kamer van Koophandel.

Op 20 december 1920 is bij notaris Alexander Pedro Schröder te Amersfoort door de heren Pieter van Mouwerik, Cornelis Willem Bal en Menno Ufkes de naamloze vennootschap Plaatmetaalindustrie van Mouwerik en Bal opgericht als voortzetting van de handelsvennootschap onder firma van Mouwerik en Bal (uit andere bronnen weten we dat deze firma omstreeks 1915 is opgericht). Het doel van de vennootschap was het vervaardigen en handel in uit plaatmetaal gestampte en getrokken massa-artikelen, het deelnemen in andere vennootschappen met gelijk of aanverwant doel e.e.a. in de ruimste zin van het woord.

Op 21 april 1921 wordt door Cornelis Willem Bal in zijn hoedanigheid als directeur opgave gedaan aan de Kamer van Koophandel in Utrecht van deze oprichting met de volgende vermeldingen van bestuurders en commissarissen:

·       Pier van Mouwerik          directeur
·       Cornelis Willem Bal         directeur
·       Johan Casper Banz        commissaris voorzitter
·       Menno Albert Ufkes        commissaris secretaris

De firma wordt door de KvK ingeschreven op 2 mei 1921 onder dossiernummer 460

Op 9 april 1925 wordt door C.W. Bal aan de KvK doorgegeven dat Pieter van Mouwerik uitgetreden is als bestuurder door zijn overlijden. Dit wordt in het dossier vastgelegd op 15 april 1925.

Op 26 oktober 1931 wordt bij notaris Alexander Pedro Schröder te Amersfoort vastgelegd dat in de algemene vergadering van aandeelhouders een statutenwijziging heeft plaatst gevonden en dat C.W. Bal gemachtigd is deze wijziging notarieel vast te leggen.

Op 6 september 1935 wordt door C.W. Bal aan de KvK doorgegeven en vastgelegd dat Johannes Paulus van den Berg als mededirecteur is aangesteld.

Op 6 juli 1936 wordt door C.W. Bal aan de KvK doorgegeven en op 14 juli 1936 vastgelegd dat Henri Godfried Victor Hymans als President commissaris en Mozes Abraham Hamburger als commissaris zijn aangesteld.

Op 17 december 1941 wordt door C.W. Bal aan de KvK doorgegeven en op 24 december 1941 vastgelegd dat H.G.V. Hymans als President commissaris is afgetreden.

Op 17 december 1941 wordt door C.W. Bal aan de KvK doorgegeven en op 24 december 1941 vastgelegd dat Cornelis Maris als President commissaris is aangesteld.

Bij brief van 13 maart 1942 beslist de Reichskommissar für die bestzten Niederlandische Gebiete (onderafdeling Commissaris Generaal van Financiën en Economische zaken) dat het bedrijf onder toezicht wordt gesteld door een bewindvoerder (Treuhänder) de heer Georg Ernst Fischer (Rijks-Duitser) onder gelijktijdige benoeming van een verkoopbewindvoerder (Veräusserungstreuhänder) de N.V. Nederlandse Maatschappij voor afwikkeling van Ondernemingen.

Bij schrijven van 17 maart 1942 meldt de bewindvoerder dat hij tot nader order de heer C.W. Bal als directeur kan aanblijven.

Op 20 maart 1942 wordt door G.E. Fischer (bewindvoerder) aan de KvK doorgegeven en op 7 april 1942 vastgelegd dat M.A. Hamburger als commissaris is afgetreden.

Op 20 maart 1942 wordt door G.E. Fischer (bewindvoerder) aan de KvK doorgegeven en op 7 april 1942 vastgelegd dat hij is aangesteld als bewindvoerder en N.V. Nederlandse Maatschappij voor afwikkeling van Ondernemingen als verkoopbewindvoerder.

Met een brief van 25 april 1942 meldt het departement van Handel, Nijverheid en Scheepvaart aan de KvK dat op grond van paragraaf 7 van de verordening tot verwijdering van joden uit het bedrijfsleven met ingang van 13 maart 1942 de heer G.F. Fischer als bewindvoerder is aangesteld. Deze brief wordt ingeschreven door de KvK op 28 april 1942.

Met een brief van 17 juni 1942 heft de Reichskommissar für die bestzten Niederlandische Gebiete de aanstelling van bewindvoerder en verkoopbewindvoerder op. Dit wordt in een separate brief aan de heer G.E. Fischer meegedeeld. Beide brieven worden respectievelijk 21 augustus 1942 en 2 september 1942 bij de KvK ingeschreven.

Op 19 augustus 1942 wordt door G.E. Fischer (bewindvoerder) aan de KvK doorgegeven en op 21 augustus 1942 vastgelegd dat zijn aanstelling als bewindvoerder en de aanstelling van N.V. Nederlandse Maatschappij voor afwikkeling van Ondernemingen als verkoopbewindvoerder worden ingetrokken. Deze intrekking wordt door de directie van Handel en Nijverheid van gelijknamig departement bevestigd aan de KvK middels een brief van 28 augustus 1942.

Op 4 maart 1943 wordt door C.W. Bal aan de KvK doorgegeven en op 24 maart 1943 vastgelegd dat Cornelis François van Noppen als commissaris is aangesteld.

Op 21 mei 1946 wordt door C.W. Bal aan de KvK doorgegeven en op 22 mei 1946 vastgelegd dat Egbert Meerbeek als commissaris is afgetreden.

De productie van Mobaco is eind jaren 50 gestopt en daarmee is een eind gekomen aan een roemruchte geschiedenis van een Nederlandse speelgoedfabrikant.

Op 16 september 1975 worden de statuten geheel gewijzigd en vastgelegd bij notaris M.A. van Rhijn in Zeist. Per gelijke datum treden aan als directeur en alleen bevoegd de heer Cornelis Gerardus Bal en als commissarissen de heren Frans Klinkvis en Johannes Henricus Hermanus Buys.

Op 30 september 1975 wordt door C. G. Bal aan de KvK doorgegeven en op 8 oktober 1975 vastgelegd dat de naam van de firma wordt gewijzigd in “Beleggingsmaatschappij BAL B.V.”.

Wat er sinds die tijd is gebeurd met het bedrijf valt nauwelijks te achterhalen. Alleen de wijziging in 1975 door de omzetting van het bedrijf in een beleggingsmaatschappij is gedocumenteerd.

Op 7 juni 1989 komt er een einde aan de BV, statutair nog steeds in Zeist gevestigd maar feitelijk in Schilde België, doordat de arrondissementsrechtbank in Utrecht bij vonnis de BV ontbindt omdat bij beschikking van 21 maart 1989 het bestuur van de BV de bevoegdheid tot het verrichten van rechtshandelingen is ontzegd.

Dit artikel is tot stand gekomen op basis van het onderzoek door de heer Alex Geelhoed bij de KvK te Utrecht.

H.M. de Graaf, februari 2016 Renswoude










MOUBAL BACKGROUND INFORMATION 

Here are items found on the internet that may be of interest to researchers. They are grouped by topic.

Jump directly to:
- Permits and construction
- Miscellaneous news items
- Job openings
- Services during the hunger winter
- Sports team





PERMITS AND CONSTRUCTION 





1918-10-19 - Weekbode



1918-11-16 - De Zeister Courant




1918-11-16 - Weekbode



1921-01-22 - De Zeister Courant



1923-09-29 - De Zeister Courant


1924-02-09 - De Zeister Courant



1924-02-09 - De Zeister Courant




1924-03-15 - De Zeister Courant



1934-02-24 - De Zeister Courant



1925 - Het Nieuws, p. 158 of 1334




1925-03-21 - De Zeister Courant




1927-03-05 - De Zeister Courant








MISCELLANEOUS NEWS ITEMS 


Here some random news items I came across.





1925-01-30 - Het Nieuws




1927-11-04 - Het Nieuws



1928-03-21 - De Zeister Courant




1928-03-24 - De Zeister Courant




1934-04-28 - De Zeister Courant





1934-12-05 - De Zeister Courant



1939-11-22 - De Zeister Courant









1943-06-26 - De Zeister Courant



This entry from the national archives in Amsterdam indicates they have a folder about
a delivery cancellation of shoe heel protectors in 1940-1942






      Newspaper clipping courtesy of Anneke Oldenburg


13 January? 1964 - Nieuw Zeister Courant



1964 - Stichtse Courant


      Newspaper clipping courtesy of Anneke Oldenburg

 17 April 1964 - Nieuw Zeister Courant



     Newspaper clipping courtesy of Anneke Oldenburg

19 November 1965 - Nieuw Zeister Courant

Note: the aerial photograph is the same as the one at near the top of the page, except that the area around
the new building has been retouched to eliminate all the clutter!




1966-12-22 - De Kaap









JOB OPENINGS 

Interestingly, the majority of the job openings are for "nette jongens" (boys in good standing) aged 14 to 16. Later the age is raised to 18 years.




1919-04-10 De Zeister Courant



1919-04-19 - De Zeister Courant




1919-04-26 - De Zeister Courant



1919-09-27 - De Zeister Courant




1919-10-25 - De Zeister Courant



1920-03-20 - De Zeister Courant




1920-08-07 - De Zeister Courant




1920-11-27 - De Zeister Courant



1921-02-05 - De Zeister Courant



1921-06-18 - De Zeister Courant



1921-06-25 - De Zeister Courant



1921-10-08 - De Zeister Courant




1923-02-10 - De Zeister Courant




1924-03-29 - De Zeister Courant




1924-04-05 - De Zeister Courant




1925-06-06 - De Zeister Courant




1925-06-13 - De Zeister Courant




1925-06-20 - De Zeister Courant




1925-07-18 - De Zeister Courant




1925-08-08 - De Zeister Courant




1926-05-22 - De Zeister Courant




1926-06-19 - De Zeister Courant




1926-10-23 - De Zeister Courant




1927-04-09 - De Zeister Courant




1927-06-04 - De Zeister Courant




1927-09-17 - De Zeister Courant



1928-06-13 - De Zeister Courant




1929-09-25 - De Zeister Courant




1929-10-30 - De Zeister Courant




1930-06-14 - De Zeister Courant




1930-06-18 - De Zeister Courant




1930-07-05 - De Zeister Courant




1930-08-23 - De Zeister Courant




1932-01-16 - De Zeister Courant



1932-10-29 - De Zeister Courant




1936 - Het Nieuws, p. 794 of 899




1937-01-09 - De Zeister Courant




1937-01-16 - De Zeister Courant




1937-10-16 - De Zeister Courant




1938-11-12 - De Zeister Courant




1939-05-10 - De Zeister Courant




1939-05-24 - De Zeister Courant




1939-08-26 - De Zeister Courant




1940-01-17 - De Zeister Courant




1940-03-06 - De Zeister Courant




1940-04-17 - De Zeister Courant




1940-12-14 - De Zeister Courant




1941-03-26 - De Zeister Courant




1941-06-18 - De Zeister Courant




1941-12-03 - De Zeister Courant




1942-01-31 - De Zeister Courant




1942-02-04 - De Zeister Courant




1945-06-26 - Zeister Weekblad




1945-07-07 - Zeister Post




1945-09-08 - Zeister Post








1945-09-08 - Zeister Post




1955-11-18 - De Kaap



This ad from 1922 is for domestic help
for Mrs. van Mouwerik





1922-06-03 - De Zeister Courant










SERVICES DURING THE HUNGER WINTER 

During the Hunger Winter of 1944 - 1945, services for the Doopgezinde Gemeente (Baptist Church) were held in the cafeteria of the Moubal factory. From December through April, Ds. C. Nijdam led the congregation at 10:30 am:




1944-12-09 - De Zeister Courant




1944-12-16 - De Zeister Courant




1944-12-23 - De Zeister Courant




1945-01-06 - De Zeister Courant




1945-01-20 - De Zeister Courant




1945-01-27 - De Zeister Courant



1945-02-03 - De Zeister Courant



1945-03-17 - De Zeister Courant



1945-03-31 - De Zeister Courant




1945-04-07 - De Zeister Courant










SPORTS TEAM 

Moubal had a soccer (football) team that played against other local companies from ± 1936 through 1944.




1928-10-06 - De Zeister Courant



1936-02-26 - De Zeister Courant







1936-03-18 - De Zeister Courant







1939-11-29 - De Zeister Courant








1940-04-10 - De Zeister Courant



1940-03-02 - De Zeister Courant







1940-10-26 - De Zeister Courant




1941-09-17 - De Zeister Courant



1944-05-17 - De Zeister Courant


1944-05-24 - De Zeister Courant









  Back to top